If you want to start a jewelry collection, but aren't sure where to begin, these tips might help:
- Collect What You Like - It sounds simple, but many people try to start a collection by purchasing items they think are valuable rather than items they truly love. Collections are more fun when you are excited about what you find.
- Use Price Guides - When you are starting out, it is easy to make a mistake and pay too much for an item. There are many price guides on the market that offer information on determining the value of an item.
- Search the Internet - The internet is a valuable resource for both research and shopping. There are many online stores that sell vintage jewelry. When you shop online, you are able to find more vintage jewelry than you could find in you local area. Online stores can also give you an idea of value.
- Understand Condition - Most vintage jewelry pieces have been worn and loved for many years. You do want to take condition into consideration when determining value, but you shouldn't expect vintage jewelry to look brand new.
- Have Fun - Collecting jewelry can be an enjoyable and rewarding hobby, so have fun!