Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pretty as a Peacock

Today I would like to share a new shop with you. The shop is Caterpillar Peacock and it is run by Lindsey. There is more about Lindsey below. You can find some great items at Lindsey's shop such as this lovely Needlefelted Calla Lily Brooch.





Your name: Lindsey

Where in the world are you? Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Your website: http://caterpillarpeacock.artfire.com

Your Blog: http://caterpillarpeacock.blogspot.com>






Briefly describe yourself and what you make:

I'm a big weirdo, through and through. I like strange things that make me laugh. If you've ever seen the show Clone High, I like to think that it's my EXACT sense of humour. Funny and ironic, and kinda off kilter. This helps explain what I make, teeny tiny hats. I crochet them first and then felt them in my washing machine until they're just right and finally I block them to just the right shape. I make all sorts of hats: berets, fedoras, top hats, you name I can crochet it. Well, that's what I make to sell, mostly. I've been expanding out into other things as well, like jewelry, but not your run of the mill jewelry, it's soft and made of wool too. Right now because of spring I've been working on making plant inspired stuff, like ivy vines and calla lillies. It's been a lot of fun.

Who or what inspires you?

I'm inspired by so many things: colour, nature, my mom, funny things on the internet, old school games, comic books, anything from the 50's through the 70's, Alphonse Mucha... The list just goes on and on.

When / how did you learn?

I've been crafting for as long as I can remember. My mom taught me how to crochet when I was 8. We made bracelets for my softball team in just chain stitches and it was awesome. I knew then that I would never put down a crochet hook.

Why do you make things by hand?

I have to. It's just been a happy byproduct that I can make stuff and actually sell it. I make stuff because if I don't see all these crazy ideas in my head through I would be a sad, sad, panda.





What is your craft ”philosophy”?

It was said best in handmade nation: There are two types of people in this world, those who make stuff and those who don't.

Have you always made 'stuff'?

Yes! I used to make clothes for my dolls out of kleenex by tearing it into skirts and ponchos and the like. Then I took a fashion class in highschool and that's when I knew that I would forever and ever be making stuff. When I went to university for fashion I KNEW that I would one day be selling my wares somewhere or another.





How do you motivate yourself?

My boyfriend is my motivator. There are some days that I might not even be able to get out of bed without him.

How do you deal with crafty mistakes?

A lot of the time they get thrown into the WIPs pile. Sometimes they turn out to be better than what I started out with.

Favourite craftbook(s)?

Creative Hands. There's like 30 of 'em. From the 1970s. They are so amazing.

Do you have a designated craft space? What does it mean to you?

I have a CRAFT ROOM. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I have a cutting table and a place for my FOUR sewing machines, all my wool/yarn stash. It's great. Life has been ever so much more productive since it happened.

Do you use a sketchbook or journal?

I have about a billion sketchbooks that also serve as journals. I tend to have two on the go at all times, a purse sketchbook and a house sketchbook. That way I always have something around for when a good idea strikes.




0 Comments: